Monday, June 28, 2010

BreakBeat Lou Says Farewell On Ustream



I remember growing up in the Bay Area, back in Richmond, CA. Everytime I listened to the Wake-Up Show with Sway & King Tech, King Tech used to always play these breaks in his show and him and Sway always gave respect to BreakBeat Lou. I would be like yo who is BreakBeat Lou? As I got older and interned for college radio at UC Berkeley, I would see some of the old breakbeat albums and listen to them. That's when I started to put the history of breakbeats and hip hop together, and understood what Sway & tech were talking about.

We can take it all the way back to 1986 where Breakbeat Lou and Breakbeat Lenny Roberts released over 24 plus volumes of breakbeats. For those that don't know what breakbeats are, breakbeats are instrumentals found in jazz and funk music, which are led throuh first by the vocals or usually drums. It was good to finally see the legendary Breakbeat Lou, once I got introduced to De La Soul's Dugout & Da Beatminerz and saw him live online on his show. I hope that all djs can respect the craft of where true dj'ing came from, rather than just only buy a laptop and a program and say hey I'm a dj now and use it as a hustle. By seeing BreakBeatLou, alongside with the One Nation Radio djs, they show you how much they have been through in the game and how much respect and love they have for the music and their craft as a whole.

When Breakbeat Lou said his farewells on Ustream last nite, I can see how humble and true of a man he is. He gave respect to all of those that have been by his side, and supported him throughout the years of his career. I typed a message in the chatroom to him saying this isn't a farewell, because the memory of you will live through us. Also, we have to educate the kids and future djs of where true dj'ing started, and how vital of a role it plays not only in hip hop but keeping a club or party rockin' worldwide.

Salute to you Breakbeat Lou! One love homie! Shouts out to Eddie B. Swift and all of the Ultimate Breaks & Beats djs and tour! Peace!

-Arieslove




1 comment:

  1. That's what's up! All the links you've included are great. Love it!

    ReplyDelete